Two Juicy Mango (Kensington Pride)
Who doesn’t love summer mango? A juicy fresh mango is intimately tied to the feeling of sunshine, or the spray from a garden hose on your skin, kids laughing, the smell of a bbq, and long light evenings. Kensington Pride is the first popular variety of WA Mango and is grown around Kununurra and Carnarvon.
Here is how to judge ripeness, so you can always enjoy a perfect mango…
- Don’t focus on colour. It is not the best indicator of ripeness.
- Squeeze the mango gently. A ripe mango will give slightly.
- Use your experience with produce such as peaches or avocados, which also become softer as they ripen.
- Ripe mangoes will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem ends.
- The pink blush and red colour that appears on some varieties is not an indicator of ripeness.
- Always judge by feel.